The Blue Star Line was owned by Vestey Brothers, Union Cold Storage Company and commenced operating their own ships in 1909, principally for the carriage of frozen produce initially from South America and China.
In 1916 P&O Line took over NZSCo but the company continued to operate as before.
In 1936 the Montreal – Australian New Zealand Line (MANZ Line) was formed in conjunction with Ellerman & Bucknall and the Port Line. In 1973 ownership of all ships was transferred to P&O Line and the existence of NZSCo as a separate company ceased.
Also known as the Orient Line, was a British shipping company with roots going back to the late eighteenth century.
From the early twentieth century onwards an association began with P&O that eventually culminated in the Orient Line being totally absorbed into that company in the 1960s.
Ballarat Central, Stawell, Ararat, Beaufort, Ballarat, Horsham As the principal road link between Melbourne and Adelaide, the Western Highway (A8) serves interstate trade between Victoria and South Australia.
The Adelaide Steamship Company was formed by a group of South Australian businessmen in 1875.
It was one of the seven major coastal shippers in Australia at a time when shipping was the principal means of interstate and trans-tasman transport. The New Zealand Shipping Company was formed in London in 1873.
The company started in Geelong, but in 1890 shifted its offices to Melbourne. Fitted ships with refrigerated capacity for NZ meat were introduced in 1881.
Formed 1881 – Registered in London under British India Steam Navigation Company.
What started as an incentive from the then Queensland Premier for a satisfactory tender for the State’s Mail contract led to the creation of this entity.
Her demise turned the vessel into a martyr for Australians, confirming the brutality of the Japanese in the public’s mind. Earlier, in the 1850s, James Huddart’s uncle, Captain Peter Huddart had made his fortune importing coal for use in the Victorian goldfields. The trading activities each built up through the gold-rush era and beyond led to a linking of the businesses of their descendants and successors, to become Huddart Parker & Company. By 1886 it had inaugurated the Melbourne-Adelaide shipping service and in 1882 entered the Sydney Melbourne trade.